01 April 2009

you're only wet because of the rain.

Since my last post, I've been on safari and gained a new habesha
family member. It's been a exciting couple of weeks. My aunt and
uncle adopted a three-year-old Ethiopian boy named Zecharias,
which meant I got to visit with them in Addis (and take hot
showers!) and now have no need for souvenir shopping since I have
a cousin from Ethiopia. I also liked an infant. Not enough to
have one of my own, but still, a big victory for those hoping I'll
one day have some semblance of maternal instinct. Photos coming
soon...

Afterwards, my mother and I went to Kenya for a safari. We had
some difficulties with the travel company (under no circumstances
would I ever recommend Planet Safari Adventures), but the actual
trip was incredible. Masaai Mara, Nokuru, and Amboseli national
parks. The photos speak for themselves, but some fun facts in the
meantime. A 3-month old rhino is the size of a large golden
retriever. Kissing a giraffe is like kissing an unshaven man.
Lions won't interrupt their siesta for something as incidental as
a car, so you can get within a few meters. 6-month old elephants
are only waist high on an average adult. Camping includes tents
(some members of our travel group weren't aware of this shocking
fact). Impalas and gazelles live in groups of 20-30 females to
one male. Monkeys don't fear humans and really do like bananas.
A 200 mm telephoto lenses is invaluable (I seriously regret not
buying one before this trip). Warthog sex is one of the most
awkwardly funny sights on earth.

Safari photos:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2755922&id=2001205&l=906a664c73

I'm back in Assela now, trying to get back into the swing of work
(and ration the cheese carried over by my visiting family). The
new supermarket in Assela is selling strawberries. While I was
gone, Abebe, the town crazy, was apparently attacked and killed by
hyenas while sleeping outside the hospital one night. I'm not
really sure how to feel about that.

An interesting (read: non-Ethiopian government sanctioned) look at
the food crisis in Ethiopia:
http://www.ethiomedia.com/adroit/2052.html

Wishlist:
I'm planning to go to Rwanda this summer to see the mountain
gorillas, so if you were going to send me a birthday package, I'd
love for you to consider donating the money you would have spent
to my travel fund instead. Just a thought, I'm not actually
begging for money here, just proposing an alternative use of it.
Email me if you're interested.

But if you wanted to send a smaller gift...
-Burned/bootleg AVI files of the following TV shows:
+Weeds - Season 4 & 5
+The Office (US) - last 6 episodes of Season 3, Seasons 4 & 5
+30 Rock - Season 2 & 3
-cheese in any form

1 comment:

globalschreibs said...

happy to send some funds, but you should also visit some spots there i can recommend whole heartily :)