29 December 2008

melkem firenji addis amet.

Happy Foreigner New Year!

That's what it's called here. Ethiopians rang in 2001 on 11 September, so this is just a Thursday to the rest of my temporarily adopted country. I got an intestinal parasite for Christmas, so I've spent the last few days in Addis producing stool samples to identify the little bugger. It's been loads of fun. On the upside, this is my first "real" illness in Ethiopia, so I'm just glad I made it this far. I was probably due.

Christmas itself was fun - Steph and I cooked up a storm at Kelly's place in Ambo, shared some cookies with the new trainees (I've never claimed to be above bribery), and watched mindless movies. All in all, a strange-but-good holiday. I'm looking forward to being back in Assela, if only to be able to check my mailbox. T-minus 17 days until Zanzibar!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl I just read an article about you in the Hunters Creek Mag. I am "mailing" not emailing you a package this week. I have to go out and get some goodies for it. I think about you offen.

Take care,
Gil

NoBeardPete said...

Zanzibar, eh? Karibu sana Tanzania. I'm currently serving as a PCV here in Tanzania (although I'm on the mainland, nowhere near Zanzibar). On the off chance you'll be anywhere near Ngorongoro, drop me a line.

I'll be COSing soon, and am planning on traveling through Ethiopia on my way home. I'd love to pick your brain a bit for advice. Can we email? I'm at nobeardpete[at]gmail.com.