06 June 2007

like art could save a wretch like me.

It's been a while, but I've been keeping myself amused in the meantime. Candace and I have moved into our new apartment, and although the hot water appears to be broken or nonexistent (hopefully the former), it's otherwise fabulous. Except for moving in and shopping with three flights of stairs. We invested in an electric oven and a blender, so life just keeps getting better. We live on an adorable tree lined street where, for the first time, I hear birds chirping constantly. It's still unsettling, since it sounds just like our doorbell, but I'm thrilled to be in a quaint little neighborhood in which, if I felt so inclined, I could actually go running. And best of all, someone in our building is running an open wireless network, so until they discover us, we have free internet at home. Yes.

Between trips up the stairs, I picked up another (hopefully my primary) job for the summer. Inspired by last summer in Berlin, I've been hired as a photographer and writer for JO Magazine, an English-language magazine covering politics, social issues, culture, entertainment - it deals with a wide range of issues, which is what attracted me in the first place. The May issue featured a special report on environmental issues in Jordan, hence I fell in love. On a whim, I sent a cover letter and CV to the editor telling him I love his magazine and would really like to work there. Lo and behold, a week later, I have a job. And my editor really liked my photos (thanks Freeman!) and story ideas, so perhaps there's a future in this. I may also end up as the final proofreader, unless they find someone more grammatically anal retentive than I am. Not likely.

Although the Language Center nearly drove me away from Arabic, in a moment of lunacy, a friend and I decided to hire a tutor to keep teaching us for the summer. Thank god there's two of us and we're a bit competitive, otherwise I'd probably start slacking. Peace Corps is on their final review of my application, so I should have an assignment by the end of next week. Start packing your khakhi shorts and safari hats.

This women is amazing.

This, however, is appalling.

This is beautiful. My friend is in Fez for the summer, the city that got me started on this whole Middle East mess.

One final Sam Harris quote:

"It must be possible to live ethically - with a genuine concern for the happiness of other sentient beings - without presuming to know things about which we are patently ignorant. Consider it: every person you have ever met, every person you will pass in the street today, is going to die. Living long enough, each will suffer the loss of his friends and family. All are going to lose everything they love in this world. Why would anyone want to be anything but kind to them in the meantime?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so true, we are here for such a short time and everyone has something unique and special to share.

Julie said...

Hey Jess. So, how are there so many gay Arabic speaking people in the service? Am I missing something? Those numbers seem very high - 58 linguists!

-Julie

jess said...

ditto... I've only known two gay Arabic speakers in three years of studying the language, and neither of them were bound for military service. It's a mystery!

Jelly Doughnut said...

Must be ungodly hot in Jordan these days. 'Cause I love your blog, you've been tagged!

1. I have to post these rules before I give you the facts.
2. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
4. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
5. Don't forget to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog.