06 May 2007

something more, like a feeling.

So, here I am, a year older and gainfully employed in not one, but two jobs. It's been an eventful week. My birthday (my first-ever foreign one) was a success - a night at the local Mexican pub and a jar of Tostitos queso from the roomies. Yum.

I had my first water aerobics class on Friday - the resort was gorgeous, and my class attendees were a riot. One fat, hairy Arab men, his smaller friend, his daughter, a few shabab-aged Arab women, and a British yoga instructor. I'll post pictures when I get them from Ghada - it was endless amusement.

Next week, I start shadowing AMIDEAST's SAT prep teacher so I can take over the class once the semester ends (thanks Matt!) - I'll be teaching all summer, maybe a few sections, so that'll be a financial windfall. Possibly doing some freelance editing-esque work on the side. Two more weeks of class, a paper for radical Islam, final exams, and then I'm free! Not that I'm counting or anything.

Most of my fellow Gators graduated yesterday - it's hitting me now that I won't really have that experience. My diploma will show up at my parent's house sometime after I move to Africa, and I'll frame it when I get back two years later. It's an odd feeling. Also an odd feeling to still have no real idea what I'm doing next year - still waiting on that Peace Corps invitation. After having blood drawn by a man not wearing gloves, they'd better take me.

Funny story - we went to see Spiderman 3 last night (terrible), and as we detoured by the bathroom, Craig overheard a man asking his son (in Arabic) "what number?" It seems some things are universal.

No comments: