15 December 2006

and this too shall pass.

So here I am, in my last few days in Gainesville and at UF, and I'm not quite sure what to think. I love this town and the people I've met here - to me, this is home. So many people are talking about going "home for the holidays," and I just don't feel that. I haven't spent more than a few weeks at a time in Orlando since I moved to Gainesville, and now it just feels like a vacation destination. Time flies - it seems like just yesterday I was a high school graduate getting lost in New York, shopping for towels and dishes, and excitedly taking every flier at the study abroad fair. I never imagined that three years later, I'd have traveled on four continents and fallen in love with the Middle East. If I've learned anything in the past few years, I've given up on five year plans - I end up trashing them in a few months anyway. From here on out, I'm following my heart and seeing where I end up. Feel free to visit.

On the topic of foreign countries, check this out - it's an interactive world map that identifies every country for you. Then, play the game and identify them as quickly as you can - my record is 96. It's like crack for nerds - you'll be addicted after a round or two.

Since my Peace Corps service won't start for a while, check out Blogger's latest featured writer, Aaron, who's currently working on technology education in Togo. For those interested in redecorating their houses, I'm definitely getting one of these as soon as I live with running water. If you'd rather save the world, the Reitz Scholars at the University of Florida are participating in Relay for Life again, and although I won't be there to walk with the team, I'd appreciate anyone's help in fundraising (proceeds go to cancer research). Click here to donate!

"It's funny, you work so hard, you do everything you can to get away from a place, and when you finally get your chance to leave, you find a reason to stay." - Ethan Hawke in Gattaca.
ps. i love you.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Hello from Seattle.