30 June 2004

Cabin fever.

After leaving Kodiak, we've spent four days at sea, in class, and it’s a bit nippy in the Bering Sea, so we haven't seen the sun in a while, and I think we're all getting some cabin fever. Fortunately, we just arrived in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski, Russia, this morning. On a map, it’s in the middle of the east side of the big peninsula hanging off Siberia- in the middle of volcanoes and snow. We haven't got off the ship yet- the Russian officials are still checking everyone's passports. There are still some vestiges of Soviet Russia in place here- you can't bring a cellular phone into the country without registering it with the government in advance, and they'll confiscate your camera if you take pictures of anything remotely military or government related- one of the biggest submarine bases is across the bay from PK. I'm dying to get off the boat- I can't believe I'm finally in Russia! Hope all is well where ever you are, and I'll see you in a few months!